Friday, June 19, 2009

Thursday 18th June

today was a guided tour of the castle. we walked from the bridge, up the hill, a very big hill might i add, to the top. it was the first warm day, 85f/29c. of course, when we have a huge trek ahead of us. but, it was worth it! on the way up i stopped for a bottle of water (voda) and a bueno bar, an explosion in your mouth. BUENO BARs are delicious hazelnut nougat filled chocolate morsels :-) the views as you go up are astounding. we saw the castle, buildings of the czech parliament, and where the president holds office. the photos following this post show these buildings with just a couple of the castle. on the way down we walked past the small vineyard on the castle grounds. i will be going back to have a glass there sometime this week. i promise to remember what it is exactly that i drink.

in the beginning of the bridge is the statue of CHARLES IV, the most important figure in czech history next to ST. WENCESLAS, you know, the christmas carol guy ;-)

after the walk down, i headed back to the TESCO. TESCO is the "supermarket" of prague. it is like a huge target! although, i prefer the small market by the flat, i knew the tesco would have what i needed for class.

i needed to pick up a few more groceries, so i began the scavenger hunt. because everything is in czech i had to go up and down every aisle and rely on the pictures on the products. it was pretty fun, although the sugar was hard to find. yogurt on the other hand, not so hard. czechs LOVE their yogurt. there are 3, count 'em, 3 full aisles of every kind of yogurt you can imagine. at least my digestion will be regulated and hopefully help with the constant bellyaches, yea for probiotics! i grabbed my veggies, some salami & cheese, MARESI which is the milk/creamer i use in the instant coffee, and these yummy chocolate dipped rice cakes and then went to the upper floor to get school supplies. total bill....about $13 dollars. it so freakin' cheap to grocery shop here.

OH!!! i totally forgot to tell you about the nutella aisle, that's right ladies and gentlemen, NUTELLA AISLE. along with lovin' their yogurt, czechs have a crazy sweet tooth! there is nutella, nutella knock offs, vanilla & nutella mixed, and don't even get me started on all of the candy down this aisle. so, anyone out there reading this that knows me at all, knows the first thing i bought on sunday at the store was nutella, peanut butter, and crackers. heaven, once again!

headed home, made some chicken fried rice for dinner and retreated into my room to do some homework, write in my journal, read my book, and go to mimilandia.


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm I'm thinking this is my new plan...ready for it??

    1. send you a giant suitcase with prepaid postage to fill COMPLETELY with nutella. And I'm not talking a few jars and some other goodies... No, no, my friend. I'm talking about 30+lbs of NUTELLA (though you can mix and match flavors if you so desire)

    2. Move to Prague (so I can satisfy my sweet "teeth" everyday! Ah, I can see it now....)

    And because I do not attempt to hide my crazy over the top love of chocolate and hazelnut yumminess, none of the above will surprise you.

    ;) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete